Wednesday, June 2, 2010

3-Day Weekend: A Proposition

So as with all vacation time of any sort, as soon as it's over you decide that it should definitely "be like that" all the time.  This past Memorial Day weekend was no exception.  I honestly don't really remember ever caring that it was a holiday weekend until this year. I was always already out of school for summer, so why did it matter that it was a "holiday"?  This year...it mattered.  Our office could barely even focus on getting through work on Friday, because we were so longing for said 3-day weekend. A holiday from work is even cooler than a holiday from school.

We didn't really do anything "exciting" per say over the holiday. No beach, no road trips, no sunning ourselves, and not even :that much: drinking.  We did more fun things: sleep in, sleep some more, run some errands, shop, watch TV, sleep again. We rarely have that luxury-and by we I mean Mike, but I include myself in his lifestyle. 

This of course leads me to wonder, if a 3-Day weekend is so great for our mental health, why isn't it like that every week? Would it make as much of an improvement as we think or would we just then long for a 4-day weekend?

Reasons why a 3-Day Weekend is great:

1) You can enjoy Sunday for what it was intended to be by Jesus: a day of rest and relaxation.  Sunday is rarely that restful because you have to spend it running errands and doing work to prepare for the next day. Especially in an academic world, you feel like you have to spend most of it studying as well.  I don't think Jesus would approve.

2) We need a day where retail stores are open, but your average business offices are closed.  Then you can spend all of Monday getting your errands out of the way.  In retail you work shifts and not 9-5 M-F anyways, so they get other days off. 

3) You are a lot more rested, so you can be a lot more productive in the remaining four days. You can probably even work longer on those four days if you needed to because you get that whole day off.

4) You could have longer to travel on the weekends. This is also a crucial mental health element to be able to get out of town, and it would cut down on people wanting to take off...maybe? Plus, people would be in a much better mood during the work week.

5) It would just be really, really AWESOME.

2 comments:

  1. I concur. No, I strenuously concur. My favorite part of the whole thing is that you cited Jesus, and his obvious disapproval of studying on Sundays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I feel I can get more work done in a 4 day work week vs. a 5 day work week because I am more rested...and I don't think Jesus would approve of studying on Sunday either.

    ReplyDelete