Sunday, March 27, 2011

VMFA Visit

My birthday week kicked off last weekend with my parents coming in to town.  After shopping, we met up with Mike to eat and watch the UR game (you know, one of the ones they won BEFORE they got slaughtered).  A grand time was had by all, but unfortunately, I forgot my camera at home.

On Wednesday, I celebrated raucously by staying at work an extra hour late (shockingly, the Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission didn't extend their deadline in light of my birthday) and then rushing to a Junior League meeting.  Luckily, Mike and I both finished out the day about 9pm and though he offered to get some real dinner for me, I requested a trip to McDonald's instead. It was EXACTLY what i wanted. YUM.  We're planning on going on Biggest Losers: Couples Edition in a few seasons.   I think we would be eliminated pretty quickly because I would have a BIG problem with Jillian Michaels telling me what to do, and I think Mike would be a little too eager to do whatever she said.

ANYWAYS:
On Thursday, we actually celebrated by going to dinner and seeing the Picasso exhibit at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, which is conveniently located about a mile away from the apartment.
 The exhibit is on loan from a Paris museum while it is being renovated, and consists of Picasso's private works.  It's a pretty big collection, and was really fun to see.  We met up with another couple, Will and Julia, for some wine and some jazz beforehand at the museum cafe. Sooooo cultural.

Dorkasaurus 1 & Dorkasaurus 2

The museum "closes" at 9pm on Thursdays, but we started going through the exhibit at about 8:30.  We thought we were being pretty cool because the security guard told us we were the last ones to go through, and he was locking the doors behind us as we went through each room towards the end.  While we were in the gift shop, we could tell that people were still going through, and the same guard came back through and told us he was wrong and people were still in there.  Someone was a little too eager to go home.
I'm not sure a Picasso exhibit is where you would want to spend a "night in the museum".  I would not want to see some of those things  come to life.

Milly participated by singing me a rousing "Happy Birthday", trying to lick my cake, and trying to gracefully deal with someone else getting a wee bit of attention. It's a hard knock life pup. 


No comments:

Post a Comment